Operations Management and Information Division
The Operations Management and Information Division (OMID) of the Pacific Islands Fisheries Science Center is divided into two primary areas:
The Pacific Islands Fisheries Science Center (PIFSC) Administrative Services Office provides oversight and coordination of administrative services to ensure compliance with agency policy and regulation in the areas of personnel, procurement, travel, property management, grants management, facilities and maintenance, safety and environment compliance, and other related areas.
- Diversity and Training Administrative staff working in this area are responsible for the preparation of EEO reports and the development of diversity and training plans for the Center staff. Diversity plans include recruitment strategies, awareness training, and minority-related internship programs. Training plans include several different training classes (safety, technical, personal development, etc.) for individuals and groups.
- Facilities and Maintenance Staff provide for a safe and functional workplace by maintaining lighting, plumbing, parking areas, office furniture, and conference room set-up. Facilities staff members oversee the contracted services provided in the areas of access control, telecommunications services, and janitorial services. Staff in this area are also responsible for shipping, receiving, and related mailroom services.
- Grants Management Staff in this area ensure the smooth and timely processing of grants and cooperative agreements at PIFSC. Staff members facilitate the grant process from the initial solicitation through post award processing and work closely with technical monitors and grant recipients to ensure compliance with regulations and requirements.
- Personnel Staff in this area are responsible for Human Resource tasks in keeping with program operational goals and needs. Duties include coordination of staffing plans, preparation of recruitment actions, position management, coordination of performance reviews and related pay increases, payroll, and other related services.
- Procurement and Property Management Procurement staff are responsible for procuring services, supplies, and equipment for the Center in keeping with program operational goals and needs. Procurement staff expedite procurement requests ranging from small purchases to large contracts, including leasing. Another function of staff in this area is property management, including inventory management and disposal of excess property.
- Travel PIFSC administrative staff works to ensure that the foreign and domestic travel needs of Center staff are met while maintaining compliance with federal and agency regulations and guidelines.
- Safety and Environmental Compliance Staff provides for safety plans, safety related employee training, regulatory interpretation and analysis, environmental compliance, disposal of facility waste, security, and laboratory safety. Safety staff also keep the work environment safe by investigating workplace mishaps and by conducting regular safety inspections.
Information Technology Services
The Information Technology Services (ITS) office provides the infrastructure and IT tools needed by all PIFSC employees to complete their job while enforcing the mandated security requirements.
- Network Services The PIFSC LAN currently has a 10 GB backbone providing 1 GB to the desktop. Connectivity to PIFSC off-site locations is accomplished via a Hawaiian Telcom EIPDS MAN that provides 10 MB connectivity between each of the four locations. Connectivity to the NMFS WAN is accomplished via a 12 MB connection to Seattle. Access to University of Hawaii resources is provided with a 1.5 MB T-1 circuit.
- Software Services ITS provides technical support for NOAA standard desktop software such as Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Professional, McAfee Antivirus and Endpoint Encryption, and Google Earth Pro. ITS also has installed network versions of Oracle, ESRI, and SAS products. ITS does not provide support for non-standard software other than the installation and initial configuration of the software based on manufacturer recommended or user specifications.
- Hardware Services ITS configures and manages CISCO and Juniper network switches, routers, and firewalls to ensure the security and availability of PIFSC resources. Servers, desktops, laptops, printers and monitors are configured based on security requirements and the needs of users to accomplish their mission. ITS manages over 50 Windows and UNIX servers which provide file, print, graphics, database, analysis, modeling, backup, and security services.